It's not often I don't complete something, but I knew this system had a CSO somewhere, it was just a case of locating it.
Entry Level Sewer > HERE
After a couple of trips I did manage to work out where it was, the only problem was actually getting to see it!
The area is somewhat overgrown, and despite numerous trips covering all seasons, including nearly being consumed by the Irwell and being chased by a wild horse to name but a few fails, I had finally given up..
..Oh one more thing, there is meant to be a manhole into the overflow chamber as well, good luck with finding that.
I went as far as spending an afternoon scouring the place with a metal detector attempting to locate it, and I think nothing short of a forest fire would be the only way to reveal the fucker :D
SO, I recently found myself in the area once again and decided on one last attempt, I wouldn't mind it's not even worth the hassle, but it had niggled me somewhat that it had to happen
(Also ConcreteJungle & TheVicar had managed to get down here as well, they dubbed the CSO 'Buried Discharge', not surprising considering the location)
This time the Irwell seemed a lot calmer, however never under estimate a current.
Getting across was only the half of it, the outfall was a twat to get up and into, due to the amount of bramble and the depth of the water surrounding it.
There was also some serious vapours heading out of the 5ft shit pipe, and I was debating whether to even bother, BUT here I was, and I wasn't for giving up.
Once inside a stoopy RCP ran down to the overflow chamber, an inspection chamber the only other feature along the way.
The air quality was also shit, but somehow a bunch of frogs had made it home, and therefore I concluded I should be fine..
Ahead of the overflow weir were some bolted grilles, hardly recognisable due to the amount of shite draped on them.
(I'm sure UU will get round to dealing with the Unsatisfactory Discharges here one day)
On the other side of the chamber the sewer drops down and exits through a 2ft channel, a penstock hangs above it.
There is also a ladder up to afore mentioned manhole, which tbh will probably never see the light of day again.
A few pics to illustrate proceedings...
5ft Outfall Shit Pipe
Inspection Chamber
CSO Chamber
Thats all folks :)
0 comments:
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.