Friday, 25 May 2012

Kearsley Mill (Chimney)

Massive Shouts to TLR...

A very complete example (including chimney) of an Edwardian cotton spinning mill (built by the Kearsley Spinning Co. in 1906).




Red brick/cream brick top storey and detailing; Of steel framed and concrete construction, comprised of rolled steel beams encased in plaster or concrete.

The complex is comprised of a single tall rectangular block of 5 storeys, above a basement supported by concrete floors and cast-iron columns.

At the south-east corner, a stair tower with integral water tank, low a domed roof - the lower corners embellished with pilasters.

A Full-height chimney to north-west with white lettering V/ER/KEARSLEY.

Single storey block to west, with tall, round-arched window, engine house and offices.

The mill was electrically powered from its own generating plant using a group-drive system, each motor driving a group of machines via a line shaft.

Steam for the turbines was supplied by four Lancashire boilers in a boiler house attached to the power house.

__________________________________


Like all things last minute I got a mention that ladders were in place, and due to come down later that day..

FFS! why does this always happen when I'm working and have shit to do.

A quick look at some images on the interwebz and I quickly decided this wasn't one to be missed.

Despite the usual suspects working away, I decided to solo it up.

My brief "get up before the people at the mill arrive (time deliberately omitted), and be away by 8am as the crew arrive as I may not be on the job"

I made my ascent on one of the hottest days of the year, donning only a hard hat/Hi viz and some basic safety gear I made my way up.

Whilst climbing up, I could see a couple of heads mooching about in the compound below, but I assumed they either didn't see me or just accepted me as having the right to be there.

If it's one thing I love and thats a good chimney climb, this one was a real belter and the views were quite amazing too.

Once up I sat on the crown and watched Bolton and surrounding areas come alive before a spot of sunbathing and grabbing a few shots.

It's easy to lose track of time up something like this, as it's so chilled out, however I took a quick look at my phone and realised it had gone 8am.

Just as I was packing up I saw some vans driving around the perimter road and heading towards the chimney, F00k!

I was alomost certain to have been busted, so it was a choice of ladders or throw myself off of some rope.

(Unbeknown to me TLR was somewhere down below snapping away as I changed my underpants, before throwing myself off the 219ft chimnmey)

62m Chimney on one of the warmest days of the year so far... 
fuck yeah!

The only way is up



Looking down


I thought I'd give the Tamron a whirl, Meh..




Time to f00k off





(Luckily for me TLR was back here on his last job, and was on his way round in the van, when he seemingly stopped to grab a couple of shots) 

"I found the worst defect known to a brick stack; an Ojay still in-situ shortly before everyone arives to work at the mill!! Need to buy him a watch the next time I mention ladders on a chimney"





Funtimes, maybe next time I will set my alarm and do as I'm told..

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.