Wednesday, 15 August 2012

trunKate, Oldham

Reppin' Oldham's Trunks...

Essentially an outfall sewer serving the South of Oldham, which truncates at the works.

I've been trying to follow this for a while now, but bad weather, impassable pipes and lids in some sketch locations haven't made it easy..

Anyway after a full day of fail earlier in the week, I decided to have another crack at this one, having been close to finding something I could actually walk in.

The weather looked grim and some serious Cumulonimbus' were sweeping in.

Luckily the weather held out, however I did manage to tear my new thigh waders and subsequently became soaked and covered from head to toe in fatty deposits & p00p.

Having eventually found a safe lid,
I headed down into a chamber no bigger than a shoe box


Below was a small inspection landing,
 with another ladder down to the sewer below


Once down the sewer flows from left to right
 via a 5ft RCP and exits through a 2ft iron pipe


I followed the sewer a good while up the slippery RCP,
 before passing a large multi-level Storm Overflow chamber


A non-screened CSO, (aside from the barriers that serve as weirs to filter out the solids).

There were an array of ladders that led to each part of the system, I decided to head up for a mooch.

Once up top,
 a larger landing overlooking the sewer below

(A manhole upto the site above and a makeshift spillway via a PPE pipe)


Concious of the weather I didn't want to hang about, as there was no safe exit above, and I later found the overflow provided no exit either.

I headed down another set of ladders,
 which took me below the sewer and into the main overflow


A 5ft RCP 

(Carries any discharge to the watercourse below at capacity)


I headed back above ground to take another look downstream


Here are a few pics I took with my phone the other week just after it pissed down

(Sadly the level was still too deep to walk)


It's here the sewer emerges through a 6ft RCP as it passes through another 'open air' screening chamber before reaching the works.

Archimedes Screw


Outfall Sewer as it continues it's final journey to the WwTW




0 comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.