Friday, 15 January 2010

Dodge Hill - WWII Bunker

Solo visit by Ojay.

It had been a couple of years since I last visited this place, It was originally supposed to be a quick recce to see if it is still accessible, I couldn't resist the temptation to take a few photos whilst here, although a return visit is needed.

I have to say I have put on a few pounds since my previous visit and it was a sqeeze to say the least!
It had also been raining quite hard and it was also very muddy, I was covered in the stuff before I even got in.

A bit of History:

Dodgehill, one of 3 deep level shelters which form a vast network of abandoned tunnels beneath the streets of Stockport, which is located 6 miles outside South Manchester.


These deep tunnels were used as air-raid shelters during the war and were constructed between 1938 and 1939. They have been cut through and into the red sandstone to which Stockport is built on, just the same as Manchester itself and could house upto 7,000 people during world war two.

In total there are three remaining underground shelters in Stockport:

Chestergate which is situated in the town centre and was the largest accomodating upto 4,500 people.
Brinksway which is situated just outside the town centre and Dodgehill which is the smallest and could accomodate around 2000 people.

Chestergate has been re-opened in recent years as a tourist attraction, the other 2 were sealed after the war.

I will post more photos up when I have once again re-visited this wonderful time capsule....ENJOY!
 

Original Bricked Entrance into The bunkers


Bunk Beds


More Bunk Beds



Another Sealed Entrance


The M60 Motorway runs behind here


Door Handle


Chemical Toilets


Looking into the Toilets


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.