Tuesday, 7 June 2011

Windy Hill Transmitter, Saddleworth Moor

Windy...



Part of the South Pennines, Windy Hill is located just off Saddleworth Moor near to the M62, located at it's summit is this huge transmission mast.

Although I can't find any real information on it, conservative estimates are around 300ft, it also houses various transmitters for Phone, Tv & Radio.

I first climbed this with Stepping Lightly & 99% over 12 months ago now, and tbh our pictures were collectively gash so we never bothered posting anything up.

Not knowing the real dangers of these things, I kinda never really wanted to go back, except I drive past it almost once a week and I stare at it as I walk the dogs daily thinking maybe, just maybe.

Anyway it was a nice night, so I decided to drag one of my climbing mates out and go for a quick mooch, the temptation was too much so we set about climbing it once more.

The first hurdle was creeping about for nearly an hour until the utilites van fooked off, then we made our ascent


Light began to fade as we climbed up


and up


and up...


It seemed like an age before we reached the top


Oh wait, THE TOP


Back down


The M62 Motorway contains the highest point on the motorway network @ 1,148,294ft above sea level



We planned to sit it out until it went dark for some night shots, but as I went for the tripod we could hear the sound of a chopper in the distance.

Without further a-do we decided to get the fuck down just in case (turned out they were onto something else and not us) Phew!

After twice climbing this beast I doubt I will ever go back, as both times I've encountered headaches and felt my white blood cell count falling - you could probably cook your dinner up there :D


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.