Wednesday, 4 January 2012

Victoria Station Underground/Walkers Croft

Back once again...

Originally built in 1838 on land purchased by the M&LR at Hunts Bank, Victoria station is the city's second largest mainline railway station.

The station was further extended in 1909 on land aquired in 1844.

Much of the Edwardian building, with it's 160 yard facade which carries an iron and glass canopy remains today, despite the many changes over the years.

The most interesting aspect of the station for me is the basement/sub-basement levels, here there are many tunnels/passages/store rooms once belonging to the mills built here between 1800 and 1830.

Twenty feet below the stations platforms is the original wooden cattle bridge, which once linked Long Millgate with Walkers Croft.

It is here that can be seen the River Irk, which was arched over and culverted in 1901 as part of the stations extensions.

The Remains of a Pacer 142 diesel multiple unit which was badly damaged when it rolled away on Edgehill, Liverpool Lime Street line on 8th August 1991 is stored here in one of the larger tunnels within the complex.

Also in one of the archways underneath the station is a 30ft long red bunter sandstone rock, it was never removed, instead the builders worked around it.

Another myth that later proved to be true was an Artesian well, deep below the station, if I hadn't already had a measly clue from Stepping Lightly about it's whereabouts I doubt I would have ever of found it.


The station was built partly on the Walkers Croft cemetery, used for those who had died whilst working in the Union workhouse also in the same area.

The cemetery opened in 1815, and when the station was extended from around 1846 the railway company paid the princely sum of £9,874 for the land.

However there is an interesting fact that even in 1847 interments were still taking place, and passengers at Victoria station were subject to pestilential vapours coming from graves.

which contained fifty to sixty coffins covered in a few boards and a minimum of earth.

In 1972, when test bores for the proposed Picc-Vic tunnel were carried out, they found bodies from the Walker's Croft burial ground from the former Manchester Workhouse.

Many cholera victims lie buried under the Eastern platforms of Victoria station, now under railway land that had been dug and built upon from 150 years ago.


Having gained entry here a couple of years ago for a poke around I returned a few days later with Gone & Rookie, we only managed to see a fraction of this place due to locked doors, I also later missed out on the former BRSA!!

For the last 2 years the place has eluded me somewhat and has been a big frustration not having seen the 'good stuff' first time around.


By chance a mate of mine had since forwarded me some detailed plans of the sub-basement levels for the station, and boy it's more of a maze than I suspected.


I've concentrated my efforts more recently here, but due to the nature of the beast, things change constantly.

Relying on the festive season to deliver, patience paid off and a clowns pocket presented itself, which after some effort once inside gave way to the entire lot.

Some of the passageways/tunnels have been boarded over the years, but I had more than enough time to figure out work arounds to get to the good stuff..

Despite been quite chilled under here, one does experience paranoia knowing that BTP or someone from Network Fail could enter at any time.

(The thought of a £1000 fine is enough to keep you on your toes)


Lurking about one of the 3 stairwells that connect the buildings


Basement Level


And a confusing maze of tunnels & passageways


Inside the connecting cattle bridge/Tunnels,
linking Walkers Croft to Long Millgate




River Irk - Looking down from the cattle bridge
(Optimus Prime)


Remains of a Pacer 142 diesel multiple unit


A short dimly lit tunnel leads to another stairwell & Plant Room..



..then onto moar rail related shizzle

(Here an old stores, with associated bits & bobs)



Installations below the station



Having poked about already here a couple of years back,
I now wanted to see the bits I missed last time around.

Eventually I located the other stairwell and headed on down to the sub-basement..


More rail related spares amongst the many store rooms down here



Wage reports, time sheets and accident reports


Heading further down, can be found moar good stuff ;)


This is all that remains of the WWII Bunker under the station,
used as an emergency communications centre shortly after 1940 when the station was bombed


A curious stairwell,
 hidden behind some boards that accidentally came away


30ft long red bunter sandstone rock


Steps upto the entrance of Walkers Croft Graveyard,
and below that a bricked-up subway which went northwards under the platforms
(It's here 100's of bodies still remain buried deep below the staion)


The much rumoured Artesian Well deep below the station, 
even this has eluded Uncle Keith


(I'm glad Stepping Lightly proved it existed, 
as I was beginning to doubt this one myself)



Subway that once linked the old station buildings,
 now buried deep below the M.E.N Arena




Well thats the highlights of this place... 
Oh did I miss the B.R.S.A club out... Ha Ha

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.