I have had my eye on this place for some time, and after 1 failed attempt I decided to give it another go, I suppose where there's a will there's a way and after already having a close encounter with security this week I wasn't going to hang around either.
The amount of masts etc up there sure worried me, the thought of being stood inside a giant microwave.
With that in mind I took a few pictures and got down just as quick.
Some facts:
It has entrances onto York Street renamed in 2008 New York Street and Piccadilly Gardens. Over the years, the tower became increasingly run down and as a result many tenants left. A refurbishment programme was drawn up in the late 1990s, but this was never realised until property company Bruntwood purchased Piccadilly Plaza for £65 million in 2004. This plan is complete, with a new central ground floor entrance. The next phase involved repainting and fitting an atrium to the sides of the tower. An advertising screen has been erected showing full motion video clips to passers by in the gardens.
The tower is one of Manchester's main broadcast transmission sites, hosting the antennas of local radio stations XFM, Rock Radio and Galaxy on FM as well as digital radio multiplexes Digital One, BBC, MXR North West and CE Manchester.
The penthouse floor (floor 28) is different to all the other floors in the building as it originally had a walkway around the perimeter; when Bruntwood acquired the City Tower it was removed.
Some of the iconic buildings and views of Manchester, which need no introductions
Oh my days
0 comments:
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.